Wednesday, February 06, 2008

WW Part II

When I was in the hospital and then recovering from surgery in July I missed 4 weeks of Weight Watchers which meant that I had to rejoin. I figured I had been doing it for 3 months and doing well so why couldn't I do it at home on my own? Turns out that's not the case. Doing it on my own I not only didn't lose any additional weight but I gained back a few of the pounds I lost so I decided I needed to go back. This past Saturday was my first weigh-in.

I've discovered that the key to my weight loss is accountability. I need to step on the scale in front of a stranger and have them either congratulate me or ask what I did differently this week. I need to have a reason, besides myself apparently, to want to watch what I eat throughout the week. I need the shame factor. I've also added a weight ticker to the right side of the blog so that's an additional incentive for me. Now everyone can track my progress along with me.

Throughout this journey to become lean, svelte and sexy (as Emma and I used to say) I have found that the most difficult thing for me is the exercise. Strange since I was incredibly active in my younger years. There were few things I got more enjoyment out of than sports but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case any longer. You would be amazed at the long list of excuses I can come up with for not exercising. I'm too tired, I don't feel well, I have a headache, my feet hurt, there is something I want to watch on TV, it's too late, etc, etc. I've looked into activities that I think I would enjoy such as kick boxing but they are sooo expensive. I've tried dropping in at the Y next to the college but I'm just not a gym person. I downloaded the Couch to 5k podcasts but frankly, I just don't like distance running. I've thought about joining a women's rec soccer team but it's been so long since I played I'd be embarrassed. And on it goes.

Some people I know are insanely fit and active. (You know who you are.) Where do they find the motivation? Any tips and tricks? This seems to be the major hurdle in me losing the kind of weight I would like to.

3 comments:

  1. Funny - I'm getting better with the exercise (the best thing I've found that works so far is paying someone a ridiculous sum to keep me accountable and working hard), but the food is still a struggle.

    I really liked the WW online points tracker thingie, but can't afford it right now, so I started tracking things on Spark People. And found exactly what I suspected - I throw just about every day with one bad thing. Today I was on target. Then there was Gyoza - 730cal for 4 pieces. who knew? Not me!

    Anyhow, try the couch to 5k thing anyway. It took a few fits and starts (and is really still a struggle) but I'm now getting to a point where I actually have a strange sensation that feels like "hey, I actually want to go running".

    ps. brave you for putting the weight ticker on there! you've got more cojones than me in that dept for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm who could these insanely fit and active people be...

    Motivation is hard even for me. I can't tell you how many times I've sat on my couch staring at the wall talking myself into going for my run/bike/swim. Often for me it's a matter of getting dressed for it. If I can just get my shoes on then the rest is easy.

    1. Is A interested in joining you on your fitness adventure? A significant can be a real help to work out but they can also hinder things. Like if they are sitting on the couch watching The Hour then it's very hard to be motivated to go do your work-out. Maybe joining something together a co-ed soccer team.
    2. Join things! I know in Calgary there's a sport and social club. These are very relaxed and focus on having fun instead of competing. If you don't want to join a gym, I'd say if you can afford it take the kicking boxing class. If you know that your wasting your money every time you skip class you are more likely to go! I think that every Friday morning when I want to skip my swim class and stay in bed. Plus, group things add the shame factor! If you start skipping then people will notice!
    3. Set a goal. This sounds stupid but for me, I started down this road to fitness by setting myself insanely HUGE goals ie Cycling to Austin. Then I told everyone I knew I was doing it. This is key if people know then they will ask how it's going and you have to be accountable. TELL EVERYONE! If you don't like running try walking. Walking briskly keeps you in your weight loss heart rate zone. (send me an email and I'll explain HR zones for weight loss, it is really key)! Most of the running races from 5km to marathon have a walk component. People of all fitness levels to this and seem to be having WAY more fun then I do!
    4. Do it for charity! I think you did the AIDS walk a while ago?? Charity events are perfect because they have the trifecta, group events, accountability, and goal! Plus, you get to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    5. Be accountable to someone. Sometimes having your significant other is a hard person to be accountable to. They love you and don't want to nag you. Coaches are expensive and unnecessary for most people. Be accountable on your blog. So be accountable to me! Send me weekly emails outlining what your doing. I'll harass you if you skip and support you.
    6. This sounds silly but figure out what time of day works best for you to work out. I'm not a morning person so getting up at 5:30 to get my run in doesn't work for me I will snooze my way to 7:30! Often I have evening commitment (like trying to have a social life)!!! or I'm tired after working all day so evenings are tricky. I found recently that I could do my run over lunch and I was more productive over the afternoon. Sometimes it's all a matter of timing.
    7. Don't make it on weight loss, make it about health. The highs and lows that can come with a pound gained are hard on our psyche. I weight 15lbs heaver then I did last year, it's disheartening. I know that you have a weight goal which is awesome but once you hit it and are stabilize I would say put the scale away. You can gain or lose 5-10lbs depending on how your are retaining water. It's crazy!
    8. Treat yourself. If I do all of my training for a month, I'll take a Saturday off (not tell my coach cringe) but do all of the things that I've been missing or, coffee shops and window shopping. Sometimes it's a new work-out outfit!
    9 Make it FUN. This is key if it's not something you enjoy you won't do it! It's 100x harder to motivated yourself to get off the couch if it's an activity you don't enjoy!

    Wow that's a lot! Seriously I will totally be your fitness coach. email me if your interested and about the HR zones.

    Oh and you already are sexy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco,

    Good for you for getting back on the WW. We can commiserate again!

    I'd be totally up for a shared fitness activity that we could keep each other accountable on. Let's talk about it this weekend.

    Ems

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS