Friday, June 16, 2006

Book 13

It’s taken me a month and a half but I finally finished book 13. After finishing The Da Vinci Code I decided to give The Name of the Rose a try. It took me two weeks to read 100 pages until I finally decided that I just wasn’t into it. I had purchased The Complete Stories of Truman Capote awhile ago and after watching Capote, the movie, I decided to give the book a try. Turns out, it was exactly what I needed – a collection of short stories that I was able to read at my own pace. I’m generally a fairly fast reader but lately I seem to be in a funk. Nothing is gripping me and aside from reading while I eat lunch, I haven’t sat down with a good book for a long time.

The stories in this collection got progressively better as Capote aged (they are arranged chronologically) and like Doppelganger over at 50 Books, I also think that he was at his best when writing autobiographical stories (just try reading "A Thanksgiving Visitor" without alternately chuckling and feeling sorry for him.)

If you are at all interested in Capote’s work, this collection is an excellent introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS