Adapted from Trish Magwood's Butter Chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) yogurt, fat-free Greek style
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (10 mL) cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons (10 mL) minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) kosher salt
- 3 pounds (1.5 kg) chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Fresh lime wedges
- 3 tablespoons (50mL) butter or ghee
- 1 cup (250 mL) cashews, ground to a paste
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) cumin seeds, whole
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can - 213mL tomato sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) heavy (35%) cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped roughly
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garam masala, turmeric, garlic, ginger and salt (to taste) in a medium bowl. In a re-sealable bag, add chicken and cover with yogurt marinade and squeeze juice from half a lime over top. Seal bag and toss to coat chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- In a high-sided sauté pan, heat butter or ghee over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, cumin seeds and minced chili and cook until fragrant. Add tomato purée and cashew paste. Season with salt, stir and lower heat to a simmer. Add cream and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and blend until smooth (an immersion blender is handy here).
- Add the chicken and all of the yogurt marinade to the sauce. Stir to coat chicken with sauce and simmer on medium for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve with basmasti rice and naan.
- You can also cook this in a slow cooker on high for 5-6 hours.