Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Nail Polish : A Year In Review : Top 3 Polishes & Predictions for 2014

It's the last day of 2013 and the final post of my nail polish year in review. This year my nail polish collection exploded (mostly thanks to Reddit) and I made some amazing friends through the various nail polish communities.

I drooled over a ton of polish but only bought a fraction of what I loved. I think there were very few duds this year but the following three polishes blew me away. The colours are amazing, the formulas were great and the results were breathtaking. Here are my top 3 polishes of 2013.

#3. KBShimmer 24 Carat Bold - this is the perfect orange as far as I'm concerned. The application and formula were flawless and the colour is so amazing! My picture shows it worn with top coat but it dries to a satin matte and has gorgeous gold shimmer. An amazingly fun polish to wear!



#2. Emerald & Ash Red Shift - this was a surprise favourite for me this year. I'm not a huge fan of red polish but I've totally fallen for burgundy this year. It was a sunny day when I received this in the mail and when I opened it the flash and sparkle coming off this bottle made me gasp. The glitter combination is understated and perfect and the application was fantastic! Ashley and Nate did a great job translating Hubble photos into polish - tiny galaxies on your nails.



#1 Wingdust Collections Steel Town Girl - I fell in love with this when Stephanie posted a prototype swatch photo on Instagram. I watched for release dates like a hawk and ultimately missed out on restocks a whopping FOUR times! I never would have thought to look at international stockists but a good friend brought up the idea of a group order from Femme Fatale Cosmetics from Australia and I was immediately on board. It ended up costing me more but it is finally mine and I LOVE IT! The holo base is perfect. The iridescent shards are perfect. The gold leaf is perfect. The combo is easily one of the most unique polishes released this year and one I will cherish always.


As for predictions for 2014, I think we will see a lot of purple with Radiant Orchid being the Pantone Color of the Year. Holo and duochrome were popular all year but really exploded toward the end of 2013 and I think that will continue into the new year. I also think we will see a lot more shimmer and unique creme colours. It seems like people are feeling a bit of glitter fatique and looking for something a little simpler but still beautiful. Finally, I think that the indie polish world will continue to grow and flourish. Will Nerd Lacquer return full time? We can cross our fingers. Will Enchanted Polish restocks become a little less insane? Doubtful. Will restocks on Llarowe be less crazy-making with the new website that Barbra and her husband (of I Love Nail Polish) are building? We can hope.

My brand to watch for 2014? Pahlish. I've been loving their monthly combos and the colours they've been releasing.

Happy New Year and here's to an amazing 2014!

Which polish was your favourite this year? What are your predictions for the nail polish world for 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS