Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Battle of the Blog Readers: Bloglines vs. Google Reader

I recently exported all of my RSS subscriptions into Google Reader and I can't quite decide if I like it or not. I decided to try it out because it's one Google feature that I HADN'T tried yet and it seems like a large number of people are using it instead of Bloglines. It does look pretty and has the nice scroll tracking feature (marks each item as read when you scroll past it). I also like that you can mark items as "starred" like Gmail instead of the clippings folder that Bloglines has, which I usually forget is even there. Also, Google Reader seems to be a lot quicker to load than Bloglines. However, overall I think I am still partial to the functionality of Bloglines. I'm not sure if it's just because I have been using it for so long but something about Bloglines just strikes me as friendlier. Some Bloglines features that I love that, as far as I can tell, Google Reader doesn't have are the number of subscribers at the top of each feed and the fact that you can click on that number and see other users that have made their feeds public. I know Google Reader lets you have public pages for each folder, but I have my subscriptions into several folders and I can't see a public page for all of the subscriptions.

For those of you that have tried both out, do you have a preference of one over the other? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS